If you don’t follow a regular skincare routine, you’re definitely not getting the most out of enjoying beautiful looking, fresh and healthy skin! At Matakana Skincare, we recommend that women from the onset of puberty and beyond should take care of their skin. Remember, it’s the only skin you’ve got so look after it well and it will reward you by staying clear, healthy and youthful! Adopting a regular skincare routine is like any other habit that you form, and performing the ritual of cleansing your skin daily (morning and night) is actually a pleasurable, relaxing experience that is both soothing and calming. There are so many reasons why it’s important and at Matakana Skincare, we can’t emphasise the importance enough! Here’s why.
1. Cleaning Skin Unblocks Clogged Pores
It’s tempting to crawl into bed after a long day at work or doing whatever you do every day without taking off your make-up but your face, like every other area of your body needs a thorough cleanse! Not only does your make-up harbour bacteria, you’re also carrying round the dirt that your face has captured during the day. That could be travelling using public transport, working in the office, going shopping or industrial pollution that just hangs in the air. It’s vital that you clear away the dirt and grime of the day as otherwise, you’ll block up your pores and you end up with spots, blackheads or comedones. Your face also creates its own natural oil (sebum) and that needs to be wiped away so it doesn’t contribute to those blocked pores. So, always cleanse your face and not just once a day, twice, morning (after you wake up as part of your morning routine) and before you go to bed at night.
2. Cleansing Can Help to Keep Your Skin Youthful
A good quality cleansing routine can help your skin to retain its youthful good looks. By not cleansing away the day’s dirt (or the natural oils your skin produces while you sleep), you end up with dull, tired looking skin that loses its natural “glow”. A carefully thought out cleansing routine will hydrate your skin and moisturise it from deep within, plumping up the skin with much-needed water, especially if its dehydrated. Your skin should look healthier and happier straight after cleansing! Not only that, for older skin, choosing an anti-aging cleanser and moisturiser helps to replenish the skin with what it needs to quite literally, bounce back and look healthier. Skipping cleanser can lead to more pronounced lines and wrinkles. If you continue to skip your cleansing routine, your skin will soon show signs of aging.
3. Cleansing Feeds the Skin
A high quality cleanser will deliver your skin with the nourishment it needs to look and feel wonderful! Did you know that the skin is an organ? It’s also the biggest organ in the body and it’s the only organ that’s visible because all of your other organs are hidden inside your body. So it needs good nourishment and not only from the food that you eat. A premium skincare cleanser should contain as many natural ingredients as possible. Those natural vitamins should come from plant and fruit extracts – that’s where the vitamins and minerals are! Look for a cleanser infused with vitamins C, E and A as these are antioxidant vitamins. Antioxidants are essential for skin because they are its armour when fighting against pollutants. Pollutants can be anything from cigarette smoke, the sun’s harsh rays, industrial fumes and anything else that attacks the skin. Pollutants breakdown collagen and that’s when skin loses its elasticity. A smoker’s skin is far more lined than a non-smoker’s skin, that’s because the smoke has permanently damaged it. While antioxidants are essential and important to fight back – they need help too. So, avoid smoking, avoid excessive sunbathing without a high SPF sunscreen and clean your skin with good quality skincare products!
How to Clean Your Skin
Creating a skincare routine is easy. Find out what your skin type is and then choose some fabulous products to make a real difference to your complexion! First, here’s how to work out your skin type:
Oily and Combination Skin
Oily skin tends to be more prone to spots, blackheads and whiteheads and it might appear shiny, especially around the forehead, nose and chin (where excess sebum tends to form). To work out if you have an oily complexion, take a plain, acid-free tissue and place it on your face, pressing lightly. Then remove it. If you see greasy patches then your skin is oily. If you just see greasy areas along your forehead, nose and chin, your skin is combination. A combination skin may also experience dry areas so when choosing your cleansing products, take care to select the right skincare for your skin type.
As it sounds, dry skin is dry and excessively dry skin is prone to flakiness. Some people have eczema, dermatitis or other dry skincare conditions. Even if you get spots, you can still have a dry complexion and that’s because sometimes the spots can’t break through so they form hard lumps under the skin (comedones). You need a rich cleanser to counteract the dryness and you may want to check your water intake. If you’re not drinking 2 litres a day then try it because it will almost certainly help to reduce your dryness by replenishing lost moisture in your body.
If you find that your skin is easily irritated by skincare products, perhaps it gets red patches or feels itchy, you may be allergic to certain products. You have a sensitive skin and should look for skincare products that are as natural as possible to reduce the chances of allergies.
You’re one of the lucky ones! Your skin is perfectly balanced; it is neither oily nor dry and doesn’t react to skincare products. So, choose cleansing products that are tailored to normal skin.
Your Matakana Skincare Routine:
- Use Cleanser but keep it gentle and as natural as possible. A gentle cleanser won’t strip your skin of its natural oils but will make sure there isn’t a layer of grease left after cleansing, the Matakana Skincare Gentle Cream Cleanser is suitable for all skin types and leaves skin feeling thoroughly cleansed, nourished, soft and silky!
- Only use Toner if your skin is normal or oily. A dry complexion doesn’t need toner because it could further dry out the skin. Toners are used to dive deep into pores and remove traces of dirt, toxins and impurities. They do refresh the skin too, particularly our Rose and Chamomile Toner which is full of hydrating essential oils.
- Always use moisturiser (and use serum if necessary), even if your skin is oily. Once skin has been cleansed and toned (if needed) choose a good quality moisturiser. If your skin is starting to age, select an anti-aging moisturiser to give the skin a boost. We thoroughly recommend our Divine Day Cream formulated with organic Argan, Rosehip and native Poroporo plant.
- Use an eye-cream too, twice a day as the skin around the eyes is delicate so a moisturiser is too heavy for the area. Our Red Raspberry and Rosehip Eye Treatment smooths away fine lines while infusing the skin with what it needs to spring back!
- Our Rejuvenating Face Serum containing anti-aging plant oils is ideal to promote a younger looking complexion as it travels deeper than moisturiser and should be used on skin before moisturising (then follow with moisturiser). For night-time routines, replace your moisturiser with a night-time product such as the Luxurious Night Cream with Coconut, Borage and Harakeke. It’s particularly good for repairing the skin.
We hope the above information has helped you and your skin! Do let us know how you get on with our products.